Monday, May 21, 2012

G is for:

Great Horned Owl. This post is coming in a day late because I went to sleep after work yesterday because I felt like shit. Anyway, we have two GHOs at the zoo. We have Annie, a 20 year old female, and Charlie, the 2 year old whipper snapper that I'm currently working with. Annie has been with us for nearly all of her 20 years, so she knows the drill in regards to handling, presentation, etc. Charlie we have had since the fall after he was hatched (so at little under a year old) and no one had time to work with him until I started working with him this last winter. So I'm training him to allow collection, and sitting nicely on the glove. He's doing pretty good. He has come a long way from when we first started, that's for sure! Both of these birds are at the zoo because they are non-releasable. Both have cataracts that severely impact their ability to hunt, and you may notice that Charlie's right eye is significantly smaller than his left.




The first two are Charlie sitting on my glove, giving me The Eye. The second two are Annie sitting on her perch with a delicious mouse.

Check out my mom's blog for her G contribution.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I finally see the difference in his eyes.
    I just love his expressions. He really does appear to be giving you "the eye".
    Can I meet him?

    ReplyDelete